5.26.2007

Blue Moon

And suddenly there appeared before me The only one my arms could ever hold I heard someone whisper, "please, adore me" And when i looked my moon had turned to gold.

"Blue Moon"
Orange and Lemons

The moon revolves around the earth in 29.5 days, and we have an irregular number of days in our yearly months, add to the leap year where we have an extra day on February. It is but possible then for us to see the same phase of the moon in a month. When the moon shows its full light twice in month, then the phenomena of the Blue Moon comes in.

The origin of the term blue moon comes from the Spanish, but it doesn’t literally mean the moon turns color blue, but instead, it means SAD Moon. The frequency of having a blue moon is hard to decipher, hence the saying “Once in a blue moon.”

On a study conducted by scientists in a 10,000-year basis, 86% of blue moons happen on January and March, while 9% on April and 4% on May and 1% on the rest of the months. The years where no blue moons occur are called Metonic Years. It occurs in the pattern: (legend: bm – blue moon year, my – metonic years) bm, 2my, bm, 2my, bm, my, bm, 2my, bm, 2my, bm, 2my, bm, my. This cycle repeats every nineteen years.

By the way, the next blue moon will be on June 30, 2007. That’s some weeks to go. You may not want to miss it, for the next will be on December 2009.

No comments: