5.11.2007

Back to the Old Likings...

"Give me the wings of an eagle, I will soar, into the sky.
Give me strength, to hold a brother's hand, as he passes by.

Give the eyes of tomorrow, let me see what i can find.

If you lead me, I will follow now.
Give me wings to fly."
-from Give Me Wings
a choral composition

I'ts always hard to forget the things your heart has cherished, regardless of the length of time it has stopped to touch the heart and soul. No matter how you want to get away and face the life ahead, the will of the soul is just too hard to be ignored. Choices in life may lead me to different paths, but the soul will take only one.

Music. Choral music. The Congregation of four voices, Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass.


It is God's will that I was lead to the choral genre. I was then an academically-inclined guy, from my first year till the third year in College. With a stroke of fate, grades came plunging from 1's to 3's and even INC's! If was really frustrating, for going on stage for graduation with flying colors is the only thing I'm wishing for College. That wish vanished. I was on the verge of losing myself to my failures, then came the invitation for membership for a newly-instituted organization that will unite students with the gift of music. Since I can sing at the showers, I accepted the invitation. At first, what i saw is an all-boys organization, then the girls came in weeks after. I thought training to sing with a choir is that easy. But it wasn't; breathing, proper release of voice, note reading, dynamics, listening to each voices were some of the training that kept me perspiring after practices. Little by little, songs that the choir are performing are making the school activites colorful. From sportsfests to Christmas programs to inaugurations, the voices of the choir amazes the PATTSean community. At the end of the schoolyear, the choir holds its concert to showcase the choir's prowess. The choir proved to be successful not because we can sing, but we are reaching a hand as we sing. All concerts are actually fund-raising projects, from the needy schoolchildren to national charity foundations as beneficiaries. A semester has passed, and I was fortunate and honored to have been elected as the next head of the choir. Chieftain became the designation of the head of the choir, from the amendment of the by-laws. With leadership, faith, perseverance and teamwork with the rest of the officers and advisers, we were able to raise the choir to new heights. Now, out-of-school activities are being serenaded by the choir; weddings and Masses to name a few. There are a lot of mishaps and shortcomings, but they were discussed and resolutions were made. We are branded as the noisiest organization, for the walkway is always filled with the members on breaks and what do we do? Sing, laugh and talk. Our only capital is the vocal chords, so I guess making sounds is inevitable. But apart from all the things that has happened. No one and nothing can change or break the bond between the members, which was far more stronger that my bonding with the classmates, given five years with the classmates and three semester with the choir. We are not just friends. We are family.


But like any great story, it has to end. Three semesters has gone. My reign as Chieftain will soon be over. I graduated, soon to be facing the professional life. I feel like I still have so much to offer, but I have to give chance to the rest of the members to prove their worth and instigate their growth in handling organization like this. All song and video recordings of the choir are here at my computer, and just a click, I'm back to the old likings. Songs from famous choirs in the country are also here, which really served as an inspiration to me.
Some weeks ago, I was contacted to sing for a school formal event, the inauguration of the newly-built chapel and the birthday of the College President, who is an avid fan of the choir. I didn't hesitate, not one bit. To sing with the choir once more is a decision I will never regret.

The name of the choir is PATTS Universal League of Singing Enthusiasts!


The pictures below shows the members of PULSE, from the leadership of Mr. Christopher John de Villa and yours truly.




No comments: